Theme of the Year: Global Citizenship
Creating a Clean and Caring World through our Classrooms
Circular regarding British Council’s Reading Challenge
Grades 1 to 8
The British Council brings to you an innovative programme for the development of reading of your child called the Reading Challenge. It is an interactive experience for the children that not only involves reading books but also engages them with a series of workshops and activities.
The Reading Challenge is
- Open to children from 5 years to 13 years in two age groups of 5 to 8 years and 9 to 13 years. On registration each child with receive a welcome kit which will include the Reading Challenge folder, bookmarks, incentives and books to borrow from an exclusive selection of books written by contemporary children’s authors from UK.
- The reading challenge is a complete reader development programme where each child would have to read six books within a span of six weeks. This completes the first reading part of the challenge. The British Council will provide the complete set of books which are a part of reading and they will be kept with the school librarian.
- In the second part of the challenge, specialised facilitators from British Council will conduct different workshops or activities to make the reading experience more meaningful and enjoyable for the children. These workshops would be especially designed for each age group. Workshops would be on reading and comprehension, story writing/reading, creating characters, speaking, online activities, book cover designing, book review writing, vocabulary games, collage, quizzes.
- A challenge, on successful completion of which, the participants will be awarded certificates from the Reading Agency UK and British Council.
- The charge for the reading challenge is Rs.1600/- which can be either paid by an A/c payee cheque or a demand draft payable to British Council Division.
- Each participant will get a 10 month complimentary membership of the British Council library. For more details visit www.mylibrary.britishcouncil.org
- Interested parents are requested to send the attached registration form duly filled with the cheque/DD and submit it to the class teacher on or before 21st August 2015.
NB: A hard copy of the circular is sent with your ward. Kindly fill in the registration form and send it with your ward by 21st August 2015
Gift your child the joy of reading!